PHILOSOPHY OF NATUROPATHY
At Emerald City Naturopathic Clinic we believe that naturopathic medicine is more than just a supplement to Western medicine. We believe naturopathy is a comprehensive, adjunctive approach to conventional medicine that collaborates with the medical world, leading to improved health and wellness. As a Seattle naturopath at Emerald City Naturopathic Clinic, Dr. Rachel Erickson evaluates all the systems in your body and how each system affects the other. Rather than focusing on one physiological area or system that may be producing your symptoms, Dr. Erickson focuses on the whole person – body, mind and spirit — to investigate any interactions between systems that are causing imbalance and contributing to illness.
When you are feeling sick and having difficulty finding the right treatment, a naturopathic medicine plan can be the key to healing. Naturopathy can uncover hidden problems that may be contributing to your illness. Naturopathic medicine can clarify and refine a diagnosis, helping you gain a clearer understanding of what imbalances first brought you to illness. As a naturopathic physician, Dr. Erickson believes that naturopathic medicine is the path to improved health via a holistic approach to your overall wellness. If you need help navigating the medical health system to find the appropriate treatments, Dr. Erickson is happy to provide referrals and will work with your other physicians and specialists through an integrated and coordinated health plan for your optimum healing.
While conventional medicine typically takes a one-size-fits-all approach to treatment, naturopathy provides each patient with a more personalized healthcare plan designed to meet the uniquely individual needs of your body. When it is time for your annual physical, visit Seattle naturopath Dr. Rachel Erickson at Emerald City Naturopathic Clinic for a comprehensive evaluation of your entire body and all its systems. If you’re feeling uncertain about how to take the next pivotal step in reaching your health goals, set up a consult with Dr. Rachel Erickson so she can guide you on the path to improved health.
ABOUT NATUROPATHIC MEDICINE
A basic tenet of naturopathic medicine is that the doctor is also a teacher. Educating patients about the physiology of their bodies, as well as the holistic approach of naturopathy, is the foundation of Dr. Rachel Erickson’s naturopathic medicine practice. Dr. Erickson is dedicated to helping you learn how to make healthier choices in order to take better care of your body. Not only is Dr. Erickson an expert in naturopathy, she is also a guide, teacher, facilitator and counselor to each person she treats, helping them make simple but crucial changes for improved health and a better quality of life. With a strong focus on dietary and lifestyle counseling, as well as nutritional and herbal supplementation, Dr. Erickson helps put your body on the right track to regained health and an optimally balanced state.
Dr. Rachel Erickson’s philosophy for naturopathic medicine:
- Your mind and body are connected, and your mind influences your body and how it heals.
- Health, happiness and longevity are directly related to mind and body training.
- A basic knowledge of naturopathy and constant vigilance is necessary to keep your body in a state of optimal balance, or homeostasis.
- Dr. Erickson guides, teaches and motivates each patient to reach individual health goals by addressing the state of mind as well as the state of body and spirit.
Dr. Erickson is dedicated to the principles of naturopathic medicine:
- First, Do No Harm
- Doctor as teacher
- When in balance, the human body has the natural, inherent capacity to heal
- Identify and treat the cause
- Treat the whole person
- Prevention is the best medicine
NATUROPATHIC STEPS TO IMPROVED HEALTH:
Re-establish a strong foundation for health:
Support the body’s natural healing process by stimulating the Vis Medicatrix Naturae — the body’s natural capacity to heal itself.
Hydrate: Drink plenty of pure water and eliminate other fluids.
Rest: Go to sleep when you’re tired and wake up when you’re rested.
Nutrition: Get on a basic wellness diet and eliminate aggravating foods.
Movement: Take a little bit of outdoor exercise every day, always breathing consciously from the belly.
Emotion: Do something that brings you joy every day, even a little, whatever it may be.
Stimulate the Vis –the flow of energy that runs through you:
Tonify weakened systems: Cleanse and nurture body systems that are lacking certain nutrients, oxygen, antioxidants or physical use.
Correct structural integrity: Address any underlying imbalance: posture, injury, diet, dehydration
Prescribe targeted natural substances for optimum healing:
- We draw on 1000 years of clinical history of using natural substances in naturopathic medicine, which provides reliable prescriptive information
- Double blind reproducible trials provide additional information for targeted treatment
- Natural substances prescribed by Dr. Erickson will support healing in your body and are intended to be used in concert with other lifestyle changes she advises as part of your health plan. To ensure effective treatment, it is imperative that when taking the prescribed natural substances you also follow the lifestyle plan outlined by Dr. Erickson.
Prescribe specific pharmacological or synthetic substances
Your naturopathic treatment plan will sometimes include prescriptions of synthetic substances as found in western medicine. These substances will enhance your treatment.
Use higher force interventions:
In some instances, a health concern requires collaborative treatment from your naturopathic doctor and your western-medicine specialists. Dr. Erickson is happy to coordinate your naturopathic treatments with higher-force interventions provided by your surgeon or other specialists.