This recipe is modified from Epicurious’ Beet Soup in Roasted Acorn Squash:
Beets are great liver food. Beets and beet greens contain betaine, a liver detoxifier and bile thinner. This is a great recipe to cook while you’re doing a liver cleanse! If you’re interested in cleansing, I have a great program involving herbs as well as dietary options for a nice 3 week cleanse.
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 5 medium beets (2 pounds without greens), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 red apple such as Gala or Braeburn, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1-2 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
Cook the onion in oil in a 5-quart heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add beets and apple and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 30 seconds.
Add broth then simmer, uncovered, until beets are tender, about 40 minutes. Stir in vinegar.
Purée soup in a blender until very smooth, (use caution when blending hot liquids), transferring to a large bowl. Return soup to pan, then season with salt and pepper and reheat. If soup is too thick, add enough water to thin to desired consistency.